Monday, November 12, 2012

Fermentation microbiomes part 2 from #UCDavis: American coolship ale microbiome

 From Nick Bokulich: This is an image of the "coolship" where the cooling wort
(pre-fermented beer) is left overnight and presumably where wild
microbes are introduced to kick off the fermentation. This is the
morning after, still full of wort.
Just a quick follow up to my recent post on How did I miss this? The botrytized wine microbiome ... from #UCDavis colleague David Mills.  There is a similar paper from the same group also in PLoS One from about the same time: PLOS ONE: Brewhouse-Resident Microbiota Are Responsible for Multi-Stage Fermentation of American Coolship Ale.  What a job --- microbes, ales and wines, and sequencing.  One of the few times when reading a paper where I have said "I wish that was me doing that work." ... must look into getting involved in such studies ...

1 comment:

  1. Jon, thank you for the post! These beers are fermented by brewery-resident microbes without the inoculation of Saccharomyces (the norm for 99.999% of beer on the planet). This has been done for centuries in Belgium, and claims have long been made that beers of this style can only be made there due to some special magic. Not so. This study provides an interesting look at both a unique food fermentation system and the relationship between the brewery environment and beer microbiota.

    ReplyDelete

Most recent post

My Ode to Yolo Bypass

Gave my 1st ever talk about Yolo Bypass and my 1st ever talk about Nature Photography. Here it is ...